Dealer Certification

My 2002 325i lease is up June 28. The car has 1 year and 18,000 miles left on the original warranty. The dealer wants $2500 for certification which extends the warranty for 2 more years and 50,000 more miles. Is it worth it? Can I buy it from some other source? Can I negotiate it? Can I buy it just before I reach 4 years/50,000 miles if I buy the car now? Thanks.

Reply to
HGL

There are many, many repairs that could cost you that much. I think I would probably do it, but your knowledge of the car and your tolernace of risk may tell you otherwise. At $1250 per year, it's not hard to imagine something coming up in those years costing that much.

A little bit more about the terms of your lease vs the terms of the warranty and your plans for end of lease may help us to advise you more specifically.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody

I've spent US$4000/yr minimum for the past three years on maintenance on my 1998 E36 with 120K miles on it. This year will top $6000. Granted, I drive over 20K miles a year and maintain the car to high standards, but do the math.

Assuming the policy covers EVERYTHING, that's cheap insurance. If it covers only "routine" maintenance such as brakes and tires, it's probably worth it, but I'd have to look at the fine print to tell for sure. Keep in mind, however, that BMW does not sell stuff at a loss (well, except maybe the Z8 and the new 7 series).

-Doug

--

-------------------- Doug Vetter, CFIMEIA snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to