Diagnostics

Does anyone know where can I buy diagnostic cable for bmw e36? It can come included with software if it is not to expensive.
Thanks,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category0921&itemy60913363&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category0921&itemy60913363&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
I dont need that tool, I need a cable that can connect to notebooks

Assuming you got such a cable, you'd also need the software to interpret the data. And making such a cable would be rather easier than writing such software. ;-)
--
*Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Software is the easy bit to accquire, Dave. I have a source....... Badger.

Right. So what port does it use on the PC? Perhaps I could be into a nice little earner...
--
*Change is inevitable ... except from vending machines *

You'll need more than just a cable and some software for the PC. The OBD interface is *not* RS-232 so it cannot be cabled directly to a com port on a PC.
I an bought an OBD2 package from a company called Harrison R&D (no affiliation, etc.) www.ghg.net/dharrison
I have never seen one for OBD1. I belive that this is because it was not standardized and each manufacturer had its own implementation of it.
-Fred W

The software I have connects via a serial port on comm1, the connecting lead is actually 2 leads, one has the connector from the obd port to a serial connector, the other has a black box half way along its length and connects the first lead to the conputer's serial port. Inside the black box is where the magic takes place, to allow the car and computer to communicate. Mine is sealed, so no intentions to open it up to see what the circuitry is, but it definitely works, tested on my 2001 330dSE and a friends 1998 318ti. Badger.
Where did you get the cable, price?

http://www.ghg.net/dharrison/ U.S. http://www.gendan.co.uk/viewcategory.php?category 4 U.K

Thanks, but those are cables for newer car only, I need it to connect it on a bmw e36, 92y