Diff 323i and 325i?

Is there a site that describes the fine points of all the different 3xx cars?

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 23:12:03 -0700, fishfry wrote:

For all BMW's, the first number designates body size. The last 2 engine size. The 3 series is the little car with a 2.3 and 2.5 liter engine. Like the 540 is a larger sedan with a 4.0 liter engine. Those are rounded numbers. The actual varies buy + or - .2 liters.
And what site has 3 series information.. not sure. I don't fit in that car.
Enoch Root wrote:

That used to be true but it isn't any more. There is somewhere on the net official documents that show the differences between the E36 323 and the 325 but I can't remember where. I think it might have been hosted or posted by Brett Andersen. Google will find you lots of threads about this but will also bring up slightly incorrect statements like the ones above.
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 03:01:11 -0700, adder1969 wrote:

Very instructive.

On the e36 cars, the 325i (2.5l) was replaced by the 328i (2.8l) in 1996. The e36 323i (2.5l I6)was a 2 door coupe that replaced the 318i (1.9l I4) in 1998. The e46 323i (2.5l I6) came out in 1999. Its name was changed in 2001 to the 325i (2.5l I6) when the 328 (2.8l I6) became the 330i (3.0l I6). The original e46 323i was not called a 325i because its name would have implied how close in size the two cars engines were, probably hurting the sales of the several thousand dollars more expensive 328i.
Kyle. 98 740iL 01 525i

And for the E90 cars in the U.S., both the 325 and 330 have a 3 litre I6 engine!
Tom K.
Tom K. wrote:

What? Not!

See the link below, Diz.
http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/3/2006325isedan/techdata.htm
Tom K.
Tom K. wrote:

You *sure* that's not a typo? This is really difficult for me to believe!

Yes, we're really sure. They use the same magnesium/aluminum block, but with different heads and induction (no fancy variable-length runners), and engine controls.
FloydR
Floyd Rogers wrote:

Like what my '92 Honda Prelude Si had? 8)

Weird.
dizzy wrote:

Nope, just another example of BMWs incredible marketing philosophy
--
-Fred W