differences between 2 litre e34 and e39 engine blocks

Does anyone knows for sure that 1997. 520i e39 engine block can be substituted by an older 1994. 520i e34 block? Issue is that e39 has Nikasil treated engine bores and on the 5th cilinder it has a failure. I have a
chance of getting e34 520i block very cheap so I was wondering is it possible to swap these two blocks? Thanks in advance.
Mario

No unfortunately. There is very little in common between the older M50 and later M52 engines. Even if you fitted a whole M50 engine, you'd still need all the associated wiring and ECU etc. It's not really worth it. Try to find a late '98-on M52 engine as a replacement as these didn't suffer the same problems.
JB

Mario

You would be better finding another M52 engine. Fitting the 2.8 may mean changing the gearbox too, and certainly the airbox and complete exhaust along with the ECU,, wiring etc.
JB

Thanks again Mario