Differntial compatibility

I have a E3O 325i touring 1990. I have purchased a differential from a breakers yard to swap over. The differential looks slightly smaller to one fitted on my car. I think I have been sold one from a 320i model.

I know the gear ratios will be different, but will I still be able to fit this without having to change the drive shaft. Also is the diff from a 525i of a similar age the same.

Many Thanks

Yas

Reply to
yas

You'll have to measure it but in general if the case is a different size the fittings will be too. If you look up on

the driveshafts for different versions you could see if they were the same or not.

Reply to
adder1969

Here's a website that may be of some help to you.

It appears that the 525i differential housing is completely different from the e30 so it probably won't fit. Can't tell about the 320i differential -- the housing 'looks' identical but like you said the ratio is different so the part numbers are different. You might try to find the casting part number on the actual housing to see if they are the same. Then it would probably bolt in OK. I had to replace the differential in my '84 318i several years ago and didn't have any trouble finding a used one. I'm pretty sure it uses the same unit as your 325 (3.91:1). I would be aprehensive about trying to modify the drive shaft to fit one not made for the car. You never really know what else is different. It could be the beginning of a long adventure.

Reply to
Jack

The pictures in the parts catalogue aren't always the same as the actual part so be aware of that.

Reply to
adder1969

Thanks for the Info. I'll try and find a diff for a 325i

Reply to
yas