Discoloration on V12 motors

I've begun research on a possible purchase of a BMW 850Ci, and I've noticed a bronze-discoloration visible on BMW motors that I do not see on photos of some Mercedes V12s. Is this due to overheating, or is it normal?

Thanks!

Pictures:

BMW MB

Reply to
Mr. DOS

Probably just cosmoline, BMW put it on some parts to protect them. Zymol do a special fluid to remove cosmoline if it bothers you.

Reply to
John Burns

Either that or someone clearcoated the motor to make it look new for easy selling. and then it turned due to heat.

Reply to
Bentley Bear

No, John's right, it's cosmoline. It appears on almost every 12 cylinder BMW engine that you'll ever see...

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Wow, thanks for the quick replies! What the engine looks like does not particularly concern me; I just want to be as educated as possible. Now should I believe the folks that say that I should budget $100/month or $500/month to maintain an older 850Ci? LOL

Reply to
Mr. DOS

Averaged out over a year, I'd say that $500/mth was a pretty realistic

*minimum*!

JB

Reply to
JB