Distributor ignition cable order

Can someone provide me a diagram or picture of what ignition cable goes where? I bought new cables and stupidly removed all the old ones at the sametime instead of replacing them one by one. I've tried using
the wiring diagram in my repair manual but that doesn't seem to work for me. Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16
Oh - your BMW isn't a 16 cylinder engine? Couldn't tell that from the message you sent.
Oh sorry, I thought I had typed the model in. It's a 1981 BMW 320is.
admin wrote:

The firing order is 1-3-4-2.

Nor is yours if that's the firing sequence. ;-)

So true. But then you're expected to be a mind reader.
--
*Be more or less specific *

You need to establish which output terminal is associated with cylinder number one first - in case things have been altered from the correct layout after distributor etc replacement. So you need to get the engine to approximately the firing point on cylinder 1 by turning it over by hand using a spanner on the crank pulley fixing or pushing the car while in gear if a manual. You'll also need to remove that spark plug and use a finger over the hole to make sure it is on the compression stroke - or look at the valves, both will be closed. Once you've established which contact the rotor arm is pointing at that is 1 and the others follow your diagram.
--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional