DIY help needed..

Hi -

Working with a local experienced tech to get front brakes (rotors, pads and sensors) replaced vs stealer. Car is a 1998 528i Automatic (e39) used for regular city and highway driving.

  • Any recommendations for brand of pads, rotors and sensors that are better (longer lasting) than BMW stock? Stock pads are creating much brake dust on front spokes...! Also looking to replace brake fluid at same time...any advice on Brake Fluid brand, type and quantity? What are good recommendations for where to purchase from?

  • Stealer says never replace the transmission fluid. Also is it true that the computer needs to be reset after transmission fluid replacemtn job..? otherwise computer is continuing to make microscopic adjustments to compensate for old transmission fluid without realizing that the fluid has been replaced? How risky is it to replace tramsmission fluid? The shifting of gears in my car is OK (slightly jerky) although it was smoother a year or so back.

  • Also any suggestions on make/type of spark plugs for replacement? Also a link to show instructions would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-R

Reply to
SunK

I put some Wearever Semi-metallic pads from Advance Auto Parts on the front of my wife's '98 528i auto in Oct '06. Whatever you get, make sure you get the ones with the anti-squeal pads on the piston contact surface. About $35 for fronts.

"Pay me now or pay me later." Lifetime is true. The trans goes bad when the fluid fails. Ergo new trans plus labor. The wife's 528i auto (109k miles) has the GM 4sp (A4S 270R). I put in Castrol Dexron III-Mercon and a new filter. Since you can only change half of the fluid without removing the trans, it took 4 qts @ less than $3/qt. Filter was $20. I'll drain and add 4 more qts (or what comes out) in April. Make sure you know which trans you have. I believe they used at least 2 types of 4sp auto on the

6cyl.

M52 - Bosch F8LDCR (wife's car) M52TU - NGK BKR6EQUP

lists quite a few)

I have a few saved web pages and charts of the procedures. Send me an e-mail and I'll send them to you.

Bill in Omaha '86 535i

Reply to
Bill

Bill, may thanks for your info and advice - really appreciate it!

Reply to
SunK