Do any of you guys use this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&itemE44285608&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
This is an eBay auction/sale for a diagnostic program that claims to work
for my E36, and many other models. My computer hasn't got two Serial Ports on the back, but I suppose I could get another one and plug it in, assuming I have an available slot on the motherboard.
I would be interested in spending the $60 for the diagnostic cable and program if I had any independant assurance that it actually worked.
I can't imagine why two COM ports would be required, could anybody give me some help on this?
Jeff Strickland wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&itemE44285608&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
No, but let us know what you find out. Looks interesting.
Jeff Strickland wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&itemE44285608&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
The cable connections look kind of cheesy. I wonder why they don't buy some connectors for the service port and make them up correctly?

Me too!

No idea. I have an OBD2 set-up, but it does not interface with the BMW diagnostic port. It also only has one serial cable so only uses one port.
-Fred W

I'd have severe reservations about poking those home-made wires into my cars diag socket!! The picture also looks dubious - like that CD and BMW badge are strategically placed to cover up something...
I remember a friend buying a "performace module" for his car off ebay a few years back. It claimed to be a custom-made electronic device that lied to the ECU about the incoming air temperature, causing the ECU to chuck more fuel in and supposedly yielding higher performance. When it came he dismantled the black box and found that the wires ran straight through - it did nothing more than extend the wiring loom by a few centimeters!!
Now I can't see how this diag device could rely on the user perceiving results that aren't there, but I still wouldn't want to be the first to try it...
Spugs

Well, if the product works as it claims, all it will do is go into the car's computer and get information, and reset any code counts back to zero. It is not intended to alter the settings of the injector or ignition timing as far as I can tell.
I am not very worried about plugging the wires in, but I can't help but wonder why there isn't a connector that fits.
Bobby Spuggets wrote:

Apparently, you've never seen how we reset the service interval lights on an E28 ... -- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that; for $1.98)
Maybe for a 'dongle" type security plug?
Jeff Strickland wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&itemE44285608&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
they can help you out. I just looked at the top three feedbacks for this guy and they all bought the same product. Maybe they would give you some honest answers.
Joel

There's a good idea. Sheesh, I shoulda thunk of it.