Do I need the expensive gas???

Page 2 of 3
wrote:

The non-M BMW engines will run fine on regular, albeit the ECU will roll back the timing and performance and mileage will suffer. When the premium "premium" was 20% of the cost of gasoline, this might have been a reasonable sacrifice for the lower fuel cost. With Regular running close to $3/gal, $3.20/gal for premium (roughly 7% more) the issue isn't as clear.
I've yet to see an analysis where this was broken down into dollars and cents (at what cost benefit does the performance sacrifice make economic sense).
If you're middle class and want to acquire wealth, you're better off buying a nice used Honda or Toyota (for cash) which will cost considerably less than a Bimmer and will also cost considerably less to maintain. The price difference between regular and premium is a relatively minor issue on the overall cost of car ownership.
R / John

It would be nice if BMW would publish automobile power figures at different octanes. My new Beemer (R1200RT) specifies 110 hp using 93 pump octane, and 101 hp with 87. So if the 8% drop also is consistent with gas mileage and is consistent with auto engines, then the additional 7% is well worth it - but that's a lot of "ifs"!
Tom K.

Road & Track (May, 2006) tested a Camry V6 (26.3 mpg) and a Camry Hybrid (37.3 mpg), and concluded that it would take about 100,000 miles before the estimated $3,000 hybrid price premium was recouped (The hybrid is 1 second slower to 60 and in the 1/4 mile).
Tom K.

Yes, but you feel so good knowing you're minimizing your consumption of a finite resource. Oh! Wait! The guy next door just brought home a brand new Excursion. Between the two of you, you average 18 MPG!!!
R / John
John Carrier wrote:

I'm sure you are right that buyers of these cars are motivated by that feeling, I just don't understand this sentiment. If you are *serious* about being green you would just a) walk to work b) commute by bicycle or c) commute by internet.

But he drives 4 times as far in a year as I do so that average mileage is dropping rapidly... ;-)
--
-Fred W

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 12:56:50 GMT, joe Millionaire

    True, but frugality would preclude buying a Rolls-Royce in the first place. According to "The Millionaire Next Door," most of the wealthy drive Camrys and Lincolns, iirc.     The real issue is this: BMW's are the "ultimate driving machines." Why pay a premium for the car's performance and then blunt it with cheap gas, or cheap anything for that matter? It's working towards contradictory goals.     epbrown -- "Everybody wants a normal life and a cool car; most people will settle for the car." Chris Titus 2003 BMW 325i Black/Black, 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
"joe Millionaire" wrote

Penny-wise and pound-foolish?
Taking into account higher fuel consumption with the lower octane, you're certainly not getting rich either way.
Pete
joe Millionaire wrote:

You don't get rich by *spending* money, ever.
--
-Fred W

dugies25 wrote:

Another point worth debating is the fact that the octane rating at the gas pump says "minimum octane 91". This implies that the gas could be higher octane but they are only guaranteeing 91.
I have a related question: Where is the gas mixed to give it a specific octane rating? At the refinery or at the gas station? I ask because if it is at the refinery (my assumption), do they send 3-4 different tanker trunks to the stations for the different grades, one tanker with different grades in different fuel tanks, or do they somehow mix it?
Lastly, how big of a difference (other than price) is there between 89 and 91 octane gas? Is 2 octane significant enough to even worry about?
you do get poorer mileage on lower octane as well, because the higher octane burns cooler and longer so the engine also get more energy out of the same amount of fuel.
you save nothing by going to a lower octane, you are just fooling yourself into believing you are.
snipped-for-privacy@canada.com
"Robert La Ferla"

Sorry, but that is complete crap.
Floyd
330xi wrote:

What you say is true, as applied to cars that require the higher octane, i.e. those with high compression and advanced (or variable) timing.
But for some car engines that have neither high compression nor variable timing via the ECU, a lower octane gasoline may actually produce more power and better efficiency.
-Fred W
"Robert La Ferla"

In the states the octane rating is a strange combination of two different octane tests. Notice it will state (R + M)/2 or something to that effect. Interesting isn't ti.

At the refinery but each truck has more than one compartment.
"Robert La Ferla"

As a youth I worked in a gas station and each tank was filled from a different compartment on the truck, they shipped the three grades seperately from the refinery. A tanker truck has several compartments each with their own fill and drain outlets, look along the top and you'll see the fill caps, the drain outlets may be covered or may not be depending on the trailer design.
The difference is important if your car specifies the requirement. Manufacturers don't want to put their buyers through the increased cost and hassel of premium gas if there isn't a solid reason.
-Russ.
dugies25 wrote:

The few dollars saved per week will be partly eaten up in poorer gas mileage me thinks. Not worth it in my opinion. I have a 330 and I wont put 87 in it for any reason. I think the "savings" with 89 would not be significant enough in the long run.
Jeff

Your engine has a knock sensor which will allow 87 octane by retarding the timing. But your performance and fuel economy will suffer. You might want to run a few tanks of 87 and scrupulously record your actual mpg (not from the OBC but miles divided by gallons) - then do the same with 91 or 93 octane & compare the cost. I suspect that you'll discover only a small price advantage, if any, to using lower octane.
Tom
You bought a $40,000 car and want to save $5-$10 a week by running cheap gas?? Pack a lunch one day a week and put in the right stuff!
You bought a $40,000 car and want to save $5-$10 a week by running cheap gas?? Pack a lunch one day a week and put in the right stuff!
stepper_dude wrote:

This is a common response that seems rooted in some sort of snobbery, of which I would reply:
Yes, but the $40k paid for a car (with particular attributes) that can not be had at less money. If there are no benefits of the costlier grade of gas and it cost >$500 per year for life to spend that money would be foolish. That is why the question is so often asked.
If the car calls for the higher grade there is a benefit and the correct stuff should be used. If it doesn't (as with all 3 of BMWs that call for 89AKI) then using the highest grade, unnecesarily, is just throwing your money away.
-Fred W
The issue is whether one can/should use a grade LOWER than recommended by the manufacturer.
DAS
"Malt_Hound" <Malt_Hound@*spam*yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:wradnV9_SZ snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...