do not BUY safeguard tire insurance

My dealer sold me tire insurance. I had a flat tire and tried to put through a clain to the company - safe guard which handles the claims. First they told me I had to fax them the original agreement. I thought this was strange as I wondered why they would not have a copy - and they I thought maybe this is just a way of denying people claims b/c I'm sure a few people lose their agreements. Anyways I found the agreement faxed everything in. Anyways they denied the claim. The agreement says they are to pay for repair or replacement cost of tire if tire can not be repaired. The tire had a nail in it, after I got the nail I immediately slowed in controlled manner to side of road. The dealer said they could not repair tire as tire had side damage from run on flat. The run on flat was less than 10 seconds and could not be avoided. So this is why I was denied. Now I'm upset but there is not much I can do about it except to post here and say to you guys/girls I was a fool to buy this in the beginning - don't you be too ! Also maybe just one person might not buy safeguard b/c of my post and this might give me some revenge. I'm not sure why bmw would be selling such products. Above all what is is the worst about the whole thing is when they told me you must fax in the original agreement .. at that moment I should have wasted no more time and just gave up trying to get any money back. Well enough of my rant.

Reply to
asdf

Just curious: how much did this insurance cost?

How often are tyres damaged?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling
  1. the dealer confirmed the tire is non repairable, so wouldn't a replacement reimbursement be in order?
  2. take it to the managers, might have better chance

Reply to
James S

"Repair or replacement of flat tire if repair is not possible, or wheel if damaged to the extent it fails to seal with the tire".

Repair is not possible. They are telling me that repair is not possible b/c damage was caused by driving on flat tire. I drove for less than 10 seconds to get to side or road. I immediatley slowed and got to side of road after tire pressure light went on. They are saying tire is not repairable b/c of me driving on it ! This is crazy .. dealar has signed a document saying repair not possible.

I will be taking it to the managers and if still denied I will be sending them letter in mail telling them that if they do not pay I will be faxing managers of bmw dealers explaining my problem and will post to every bmw newsgroup explaining my story. I will tell them how this insurance company is ruining bmw's reputation. I think they will pay - this is just a standard response for the insurance company. They deny hoping you won't spend the time. I just find it hard to believe that bmw would have any business relationship with such a company ( well maybe it was just the guy doing the claims not the company ). But I have my doubts bmw knows how its customers are being treated. I also plan to call the guy who sold me he car. btw I have 8 close friends that bought cars from that dealer and I think I have some pull.

Reply to
asdf

I felt that I was put under pressure to buy this insurance when I bought my 'approved' BMW. The salesperson who sold me the car 'introduced' me to someone he called the finance manager who not only tried to sell me this tire insurance, but also additional insurance to fund the gap between the cost of the car and what my insurance company would pay out in the event of theft or total write off. This 'gap' insurance would run for a period of three years. I thought it was a bit of a rip off as my insurance company would have refunded me the full cost of the car had it been stolen or written off in my first year of ownership (less excess, a hundred pounds). I did however extend the manufacturers warranty but won't be renewing it next month as I've just had my renewal through and BMW want 720UKP just for one year on my 323. Considering I have only been averaging less than 8K miles per annum, I won't be renewing the policy this year.

Returning to your post I thought the tyre insurance and the gap insurance were simply ways of increasing the profit from the sale.

A friend of mine called round today who has just bought a new 27K Merc (no taste) and she is paying 77UKP a month for three years to fund the gap between the cost of the car and what her insurance company would pay out in the event of theft or total write off.

Reply to
John

It would be cheaper to change the insurance company.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling