do you REALLY need the Inspection I and II if you can replace stuff yourself?

I can check tubes and wires visually but I do not have any diagnostic equipment. I am due for the Inspection II soon and I don't mind having the oil changed. I can change spark plug wires and visually check stuff.

Is there a compelling argument for paying $675 for an inspection II on a 1997 528i with 73,000 miles on it?

Reply to
Paul

Well, the Insp 1 & 2 does have a dump of the diagnostic system, but most everything else is a pretty simple DIY. You could have you dealer or independent mechanic do just the diagnostics. The 97 needs a reset tool for the service indicator although I think there's even a DIY workaround for that.

Don't forget fluids besides oil. Diff, trans, and P/S should get a drain and fill on roughly the Insp 1/2 interval. Coolant should be drained and refilled every 4 (current BMW practice) or 2 years (pre-free-maintenance sched). Air and microfilters should probably be replaced.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

No, there is no compelling reason in my book.

If you read up on the contents of Inspection II, you may find that there are fluids to replace, but the stuff that says "check" or "adjust", then you should be able to check or adjust as needed.

Having said that, if you had ever raised the hood, you would know that there are no plug wires on your car.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

just don't miss something that will cost you $675+ later. Be sure of what you are checking and all fluids should be done.....

Reply to
SharkmanBMW!

You need to remove the engine cover to be aware of this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There are no special tools (diagnostic equipment) needed top perform an Inspection II. In fact the parts that do get checked or replaced should be listed in your owners manual. Or better yet, spring for a good shop manual with a small portion of the savings you'll be incurring.

It is quite an extensive list, as you might imagine from the cost, but not something that can't be done at home with the right experience. You'll need some parts and supplies, which you can order up online and save even more.

Heck, nobody says that you have to accomplish it all at once. Spread it out over a few weekends if it makes it easier. Just keep track of what you've completed.

BTW - Changing your own oil is about the easiest thing on the Inspection II list. No point having someone else do that one either.

Reply to
Fred W

I think you would only need to read codes if the Check Engine light is lit. Otherwise, there is nothing to "dump". Also, not sure if you still can in a '97, but you may be able to do the 5-stomp to extract codes. Any '97 E39 owners know for sure?

Should be able to use the jumper wire method to reset the service indicator too. Again, any '97 E39 owners care to comment?

Reply to
Fred W

I'm just a Camry owner who's thinking/dreaming about a BMW, but what mysterious German ignition technology is this that doesn't require high voltage wires to the positive leads of the spark plugs? (or are we talking about a diesel model?)

Reply to
Nobody Important

There are wires hidden under a plastic cover, but the cars use individual coils mounts on the plugs.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

Most modern engines don't have a distributor, but use one coil for each cylinder, the coil being triggered by the engine ECU. And the coil is directly attached to the plug so no plug leads as such.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A bit off topic, but still: $675 for an inspection II? That is a LOT of money.

I drive a E46 3 series that is due for an inspection II in about 4000km, which is going to cost me a bit more than $300 at an official BMW dealer!

Is the difference really that big?

Best regards,

Princess Morgiah

Reply to
Princess Morgiah

I think you'll find that, except for cars designed without regard for price, there isn't a coil for every cylinder, and you will find spark plug wires. Certainly, there are spark plug wires on the 2007 Camry, which is a newer (i.e. more modern) design than any presently shipping BMW. Camrys also outsell BMWs by a large margin, so I think the "most...engines" claim is also suspect.

Reply to
Nobody Important

There are of course variations but I was trying to keep it simple. There aren't plug leads in the sense of replacing them as you'd do with a distributor ignition system.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There are no cars made for sale that are "designed without regard for price".

Wrong again. Newer != more modern.

Maybe so.

Reply to
dizzy

Technically, all one need do is realize there is no distributor with the telltale wires leading from it to the sparkplugs. There is no real reason to remove the engine cover to see this. That is, I could easily recognize this on my car without taking the cover off.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Each spark plug gets its own coil mounted directly above the sparkplug. The coil is connected directly to the respective plug, and is fired by input (output, really) from the engine computer.

Toyota is starting to do this as well. They are using three coils, one to be shared by two plugs in a V6, but the idea is the same.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Vanquish. McLaren. Maybach.

If you don't think the 2007 Camry engine and tranny are modern designs, you are in a very small minority.

Reply to
Nobody Important

I agree that the claim of :most cars" is a bit strong, but the technology is sound and is spreading. I don't know about your Camry, but if what you say is true, I'm surprised. Your car should have a 3 coils with each one connected to two spark plugs, either by plug wire or by a direct connection (better). In any case, I'd be surprised to open your hood and find a distributor.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Arguing with Dizzy is like teaching a pig to sing. It annoys the pig and wastes your time.

Having said that, newer is not necessarily more modern. In the case if the Camry it could be, but Dizzy is quick to pick the least significant detail and pick it apart. And, the cars you listed are not cars that are offered for sale to the general public. Dizzy was speaking of consumer products, there is no consumer product made that is made without regard to cost or price. Toyota is king of the price conscious auto makers; everything they do (make) gives serious consideration to price points. (Damn it! I just defended Dizzy.)

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yes, you're quite right, without actually pulling the engine shroud (when did manufacturers start thinking engines need to be hidden like this, anyway?) IIRC there's one coil for every 2 cylinders, with one coil-on-plug assembly and a high voltage wire going to the second, paired cylinder. I think "most" manufacturers are sharing the coils in this way. After all, a wire is much cheaper than a coil-on-plug assembly.

In some previous Camry designs, there was even a so-called waste spark system in which the spark plugs went off even in cylinders on an exhaust stroke, which saved money for the manufacturer, but made the plugs wear out twice as fast. (I guess this is the technique used even on modern engines that share the coils.)

But, actually, the BMW I really want is one of those 2-litre diesels which aren't sold in my country (Canada) because there's too much sulphur in the diesel fuel that comes from the tar sands here.

Reply to
Nobody Important