do you REALLY need the Inspection I and II if you can replace stuff yourself?

Eliminated as of the 2005 hex-heads (all R1200...) with the switch from Bosch to BMW engine controls. For the older 1150s, the Techlusion does the trick.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

Eliminated as of 2003 with the dual-plug heads..

Reply to
admin

Yep. I know. I've been there, done that... Solution is at the expense of fuel mileage. I assumed that since we were talking used bikes that we weren't talking about hex heads...

PS - sorry about the beemer talk. I know this is supposed to be a bimmer group.

Reply to
Fred W

As Nick mentioned "late model R", I interpreted it as hex head. Of course, "how late is late" is sort of like "how long is a piece of string".

I guess enjoying both makes us "beamers"!

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

Just before we put this one to rest...

I am looking for a approx 1 year old R1200RT ( and am in the UK) and thought that these had only started production about 18 months ago (early 2005) - can I to assume that the R1200RT are all "hex head" ? I don't want to buy a surging early production run model. Thanks, Nick

Reply to
Nick

No surging on the R1200RT although there is some fuel injection on-off suddenness below 3,500 rpm which smoothes out a bit after about 6,000 miles. Also, the 2005 & 2006 models have the power assisted ABS brakes (similar to the R1150RT) which take some getting used to.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

Yes, and I understand that when the ABS malfunction on these newer models (the ones with power assist) you have NO brakes, vs. just having no ABS like on earlier ones. But at least you won't be surging... ;-)

Reply to
Fred W

Don't think so, Fred, as mine has sufficient brakes (albeit requiring more lever pressure) even when the engine is off. Similar to a car, only the power assist and/or ABS would be lost. My 2006 model has yet to malfunction or fail to initialize in 11,000 miles.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

Just what I heard. Maybe it was the loss of power assist made it feel like no brakes?

Reply to
Fred W