do you REALLY need the Inspection I and II if you can replace stuff yourself?

Page 3 of 3

As Nick mentioned "late model R", I interpreted it as hex head. Of course, "how late is late" is sort of like "how long is a piece of string".

I guess enjoying both makes us "beamers"!
Tom K.

Just before we put this one to rest...
I am looking for a approx 1 year old R1200RT ( and am in the UK) and thought that these had only started production about 18 months ago (early 2005) - can I to assume that the R1200RT are all "hex head" ? I don't want to buy a surging early production run model. Thanks, Nick

No surging on the R1200RT although there is some fuel injection on-off suddenness below 3,500 rpm which smoothes out a bit after about 6,000 miles. Also, the 2005 & 2006 models have the power assisted ABS brakes (similar to the R1150RT) which take some getting used to.
Tom K.
Tom K. wrote:

Yes, and I understand that when the ABS malfunction on these newer models (the ones with power assist) you have NO brakes, vs. just having no ABS like on earlier ones. But at least you won't be surging... ;-)
--
-Fred W

Don't think so, Fred, as mine has sufficient brakes (albeit requiring more lever pressure) even when the engine is off. Similar to a car, only the power assist and/or ABS would be lost. My 2006 model has yet to malfunction or fail to initialize in 11,000 miles.
Tom K.
Tom K. wrote:

Just what I heard. Maybe it was the loss of power assist made it feel like no brakes?
--
-Fred W

just don't miss something that will cost you $675+ later. Be sure of what you are checking and all fluids should be done.....

Paul wrote:

There are no special tools (diagnostic equipment) needed top perform an Inspection II. In fact the parts that do get checked or replaced should be listed in your owners manual. Or better yet, spring for a good shop manual with a small portion of the savings you'll be incurring.
It is quite an extensive list, as you might imagine from the cost, but not something that can't be done at home with the right experience. You'll need some parts and supplies, which you can order up online and save even more.
Heck, nobody says that you have to accomplish it all at once. Spread it out over a few weekends if it makes it easier. Just keep track of what you've completed.
BTW - Changing your own oil is about the easiest thing on the Inspection II list. No point having someone else do that one either.
--
-Fred W

<snipped>

A bit off topic, but still: $675 for an inspection II? That is a LOT of money.
I drive a E46 3 series that is due for an inspection II in about 4000km, which is going to cost me a bit more than $300 at an official BMW dealer!
Is the difference really that big?
Best regards,
Princess Morgiah