Does E46 really require 91 fuel?

Hi all,
I dont mean to start flame in the group, but I never owned M3 before and just curious what is the common consesus for the fuel dilemma. Does usage of fuel with AKI below 91 introduce any damange to the
engine over a long run? I've owened different Acuras/Hondas (VTEC) and haven't had any problem with using gasline below 91 AKI even tho it was recommended to use 91 only.
Thanks in advance for a rational advices/responses!
-vs

I have an e46 M3 in the UK and there is a huge difference between running whar we call "unleaded" and "super unleaded". US and UK RON ratings are different so I can't comment directly. My suggestion is run three or four tanks of each fuel (the ECU takes a while to adjust) and see for your self.
I found on regular unleaded I got about 16mpg, at low revs there was slight hesitation and a rough engine noise under hard acceleration. Also when cold a very rough idle. All this was resolved with super unleaded plus I get 18 mpg.
HTH
And the lower the octane, the more chances of pinging.