Does this sound like a serious problem?

Hi all Well yesterday i wrote off my E34 520 as i had a blow out as i was going around a roundabout in the wet, it shot off and hit the kerb at about 20mph so it it bend the susp, damaged 2 wheels and i guess a load of other things too.

I have been looking for another 5 series on ebay UK, i was due to drive to E Germany in a month so i need something quick, which gives me a week or so to make sure its upto the job

Anyway seen a auto 525 diesel. it says the gearbox is fine but with 'The automatic gearbox sometimes does not accelerate from rest/standstill if the transmission gets very hot.' He then says '

Q: is the auto box knackered???

11-Aug-06 A: No not at all. It accelerates and changes up and down plus kickdown etc fine. As I've stated, sometimes when things get very hot, it doesn't accelerate from rest in drive (when this happens, can creep along and build up speed, then it works fine again and will change and accelerate normally at speed etc).

................... Never had a auto before, or a diesel, the car has full mot and owner says its drives perfect etc.Its a 95 525 M reg

BTW while i am still here

Can people tell me which versions to avoid, i was told (after i bought mine) to avoid a 520 but i was happy with it.

If anyone is wondering, the traffic cops saw a huge nail in the tyre that lost pressure quick, as it was the one underload going around the round about, they were fine as i wasnt speeding etc and all the tyres were like new etc.

many thanks

begin 666 x.gif K1TE&.#EA`0`!`(#_`,# P ```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P`` ` end

Reply to
Jules

That sounds like a clutch isn't disengaging fully and it is trying to be in two gears at once, as it were.

The cost of fixing most auto faults is in the labour of removing and stripping, so it's usual to just fit a fully re-conditioned box. Which will be something like 1500 gbp for that car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, of course you did.

Can't you repair the one you have?

The auto box might respond to a few oil changes but it's a gamble and generally speaking not a good one.

Reply to
adder1969

Thanks, will avoid it..

Reply to
Jules

Yes i did, any faster and i would have gone over the kerb and done a lot more damage, and the cops wouldnt have been fine about it.

not within 3 weeks, the mot was due to be done too as it matches when i would be in Germany. I think the labour would be at least the 600 i paid for the and the parts may be the same amount. Im off to take some pics of the car tonight so will post a link then up

Esp as if i was stuck in E Germany or Poland......seen a couple of 525 manual TDs where the sellers on ebay are ok to wait a little longer for me to get the cash together.

Reply to
Jules