Door flops around when open like a birdie with a broken wing...

I didnt shut my door properly and it swung open doing a LHT. I braked .. and so did the door.
It closes OK, and it's all lined up fine .. but when open it flops around
lifelessly. IT doesnt 'catch' in the 2 positions to stay open.
Presumably somethings moved or broken inside which allowed the door to rest in the two open positions.
Appreciate that one probably has to look inside the door for a good idea whats broken but perhaps this has happened to someone else. Any ideas if I'm looking at a serious repair or a bit of welding etc?
Its an old car (320i 1994) so I'm tempted to leave it as it is if it cost more than say 100 to fix (and it gets through MOT)
Lordy

Hi, What you need is the module in the inside of the door that applies pressure on the 'door check strap'. I've had to replace them in many of the BMWs I've owned. They can be purchased used on eBay etc for around 45.00 USD.
-Wayne K
W.L. wrote on Sun, 2 Apr 2006 21:18:14 -0500:

I picked one up from a BMW breaker in Dudley last year for my E36 '94 passenger door, cost me 2 (less than $4). Took about 20 minutes to install it.
Dan