Dricer's door lock heater.

My '92 E34 525 was fitted with a driver's door lock heater in case of a frozen lock. Operated by lifting the outside door handle. No factory fitted alarm on that car - and operating it set off the aftermarket one.
So actually quite useful if a thief tried checking the door was locked.
How common where these - and how do modern ones (if fitted) work?
Just curious as it came up on another group.
--
*It is wrong to ever split an infinitive *

"Dricers door lock" A typo but I think we should adopt it. :-) Mike.

Unless the owner lives in a very cold country, occasionnaly he just would have to pee against the locker and that would do the trick :-))