Driver 's door key lock problem

on my 1995 318i, I can only turn the driver's door key lock clock-wise, so the doors will lock fine. However, I cannot turn the driver's door key lock
counter clock-wise, to unlock the doors. The key will only go as far as the "vertical" position. Luckily, the passenger door lock works fine, and I can enter the car, and unlock the driver's door from inside. I don't want to come to the situation where I cannot unlock the door at all, so I will drive my car, but I won't lock it. Is this a case of replacing the lock cylinder? If so, can the cylinder be keyed to my existing key?
thanks
This happened to me too. Took it apart, I used graphite lube spray on the entire handle and lock mechanism. Worked fine!!

RZ wrote:

I had the same problem with the power door locks on my 1995 M3. It appears that because the interior passenger door panel was a bit loose, the movement of the lock button was sticking within the panel whenever I used the driver side door lock to lock the car, which prevented the key from turning toward the lock position. Fiddling with the loose panel (which apparently unstuck the locking mechanism) seemed to fix the problem.
Randy