driver's window problem

today the auto-up on my '96 318is driver's window stopped working, it now only goes up on manual, usually if i press and click it continues to go up on auto. the auto still works fine for down.
i just had a new battery installed today... but i havn't noticed any other electrical problems so is it likely or a coincidence or is there something i can do to test this...? any info appreciated :)
The window needs to be taught again how far UP is. You have to hold the manual up button continuously through an entire UP cycle. This will teach the window controller how far UP is, then the Auto UP feature will work again.

Jeff Strickland wrote:

lol, weird. i will try it tomorrow, thanks :)
gimp wrote:

i tried it but it still doesn't go up on auto.. :(

I've not got any electrical info on these but most use current sensing to cut off the motor at the end of travel - when it stalls the current goes up. Can't see any reason to do it differently but would love to hear if I'm wrong and how it does work.
--
*I like cats, too. Let's exchange recipes.

I'll admit that I don't know how it works, but I do know that it has to be trained by holding the Up switch for the entire up travel before the window knows how far up is, then will go up by itself.