Driving 525xi in bad snow?

Page 2 of 2
I drive a 2WD BMW since seven years and sometimes in the Alps's snow. I enjoy it especially at those times, because it really means driving...
By the way, I think that you only need to have good winter tires. I use 6
month a year summer tires and winter tires for december to may. This way you will not have any problem.

Put on a set of snow tires and forget your worrying.
We need a reality check here. I grew up in Chicago (and I mean Chicago, not some suburb) and lived there until I was mid-20's. Everybody back then drove big, nose-heavy, rear wheel drive cars. Nobody had snow tires. All-season tires were an idea that had not come. We had winters that were at least as harsh as anything you see now. People managed to get around throughout the winter. You got stuck; somebody gave you a push and you were on your way.
Fast forward to your situation: a balanced AWD car with at least all-season tires and, if you are smart, decent snow tires. You will have exactly no problems unless the snow fall is so heavy that your front bumper becomes a snow plow and in that case, no one will move anyway due to traffic jams.
You have nothing to worry about. Nothing.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docidP96390531229048703&q=top+gear
check out this Google video......part of it shows AWD vs. 2WD.....it's about an hour long but quite enjoyable.
Pop open a cold one and watch the video....pretty cool.....
I thought about this xi post when I watched it.
tom
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

2 drive wheels vs. 4 drive wheels....
do the math. 4 wheel drive is ALWAYS better than 2 wheel drive in snow and rain.
snow tires help 2 wheel drive in the snow but snow tires on 4 wheel drive are much better.
RWD BMW's drive well in the snow, but AWD BMW's drive MUCH better.
it's just plain old physics.