e 28 Front end Bra

Does anyone know if there are Bras (front end mask) for an 88 535i? If so, a link would be appreciated.

Reply to
David N Emmet

Just search "bra" by year and model. is the "i" different than the "is"?

Yours ("i") would be $99.95 USD. Made by Colgan. I just put a full set on my '02 330cic today and it fits and looks great. Really good attention to detail. You can tell the thing was made right.

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Mayner

Colgans are $89.95 shipped from

You might look for a used one. Most people buy one for a trip then never install them again.

Bill

Reply to
M5Yates

Yup - cuz right after they take 'em off after that trip they see what kind of damage bras can wreak on a pristene paint job.

Save the money for gas...

Reply to
daytripper

My application here is to cover front end damage when I took on the wheels of a boom truck. It will cover most all the damage for $89.00. I am getting out of this one easy. Thanks for the link, it is on order.

Dave

Reply to
David N Emmet

heck - why cover it up? wear those wounds with pride! :-)

Reply to
daytripper

I'm with you. IMO "bras" are a solution looking for a problem. They make the car less aerodynamic and may well actually cause harm to the paint they are supposed to be protecting. Besides that, I personally think they look like crap.

The clear overlays seem a much better option IMO, though to be honest I've never bought one. It would be invisible, no (or very little) change in aero and would not cause any harm to paint by flapping around. My assumption is you should be able to remove it after it gets old.

The alternative is to let the minor chips stone chips accumulate (sort of a badge of courage?) and then get a respray when it gets bad enough.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Like another of the posters, I also have a Colgan bra on my car, an E39

540i. It's a "sports bra" and only covers the lip of the hood.

It works very well and is light and well-made. I use it to avoid the heavy hits that would otherwise dent and start oxidation. I've had it on for almost 4 years now and the hood looks almost as good as before. We get a lot of gravel put on the roads here due to Winter and the big chunks will skip across the top of the hood sometimes (ouch!!). I use it every time I take a highway trip that exceeds 15 minutes.

The Colgan should work well for you - the normal safety precautions regarding the use of bras would apply - keep it clean and absolutely dry at all times. You can find them at Bravarian Motorsport. They've provided me very good service:

Michael Low

What's a "boom truck"?

Reply to
DRP535

Normally around here a boom truck is a truck with an extendible mast, for example for working on hydro lines or loading/unloading heavy objects.

I think he means a sling-type towtruck however, towing him with 2 wheels on the ground.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody

Boom truck was from the electric company, for working on lines.

Reply to
David N Emmet

FWIW, yes. The 'is has a big front airdam that the 'i doesn't.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger