E-46 Tires

Just picked up a 2002 325C convertible that needs new tires. Was planning on replacing with the same Continental tires that came with the car when new. After checking a couple of tire store feedback
forums, found a lot of negative feedback for the Continental sport tires. Any recommendations?
Thanks

www.tirerack.com or www.tires.com
Many people are using Michelin PS2 or Goodyear F1 GS-D3. Yokohama Advan AD07 was also good. Actually, the Continental ContiSportContact2 came in 2nd in CarAndDriver's tire test a year ago, so YMMV.
The Goodyears are cheap, quiet and available. That's what I run.
FloydR
wrote

I'm running the ContiSportContact2 on an E46 sedan and Goodyear F1 GS-D3 on a Z4. Since both perform and ride very well - and Tire Rack's price is about the same for either, I'd recommend both (naturally supplemented with winter tires if you'll be encountering snow or ice).
Tom K.
i'm running toyo's,and their the best ride i've ever had
wrote

ditto, M option wheels on my 330 with Toyo Proxes - top of the line, super sticky, quiet and wear evenly. Z rated... not cheap but excellent performance.

Performance option: Michelin Pilot Sport 2 Goodyear F1 D3 Bridgestone RE 50A
All-weather / durability option: Mich Pilot Sport A/S Conti ContiExtremeContact Pirelli PZero Nero M+S
R / John

On 31 Jan 2007 08:13:36 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

See the thread on E46 tires a week ago in this group.
-- Larry
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Add me to the list of satisfied Eagle F1 owners. Great tires and excellent wear considering their performance. I replaced the stock Michelin Pilots, saved a few hundred dollars, and got a better set of tires.
Dan
I'm very happy with my Michelin Primacy 235/45-17 on my Audi A4 3.0 quattro. Very silent and good durability. I have Nokian 225/45-17 on my 2000 325 xi and they are not wearing evenly. I cannot recommend them. Just my $ .02 Giovanni Tarantino Switzerland
"GT" wrote

Which Nokian?
Can you describe the wear pattern some more? Is your alignment correct? A lot of BMWs require negative camber in the rear, which by default will produce accelerated inner tire wear, for example.
FYI... my g/f has a set of Nokian WR on her Jetta... she's put on about 35k miles on them so far, and the wear is even.
Pete

Thank you to everyone this has been a big help.
Rob

The Nokian I have are Nokian NRY 225/45-17 94Y, extra load. The front tires wear on both shoulders. The rear seem quite ok. Best regards
--
G. Tarantino - Switzerland
2001 Audi A4 3.0 Q 190,000 km (117,000 miles)

"Jeff Strickland" wrote

Jeff, how do they compare to other tires that you've used in the past in terms of noise, comfort, high speed stability, wet grip, and aquaplaning? What size are you running?
I'm contemplating another set of tires for my e39, and seeing how I got crap last time even though I bought a well-known brand for $130/piece + mounting/balancing, I am starting to wonder if it could possibly get any worse if I were to buy a more lowly brand such as Kumho, Sumitomo (which is related to Dunlop and Goodyear), or Falken. Maybe at least I would save myself some money.
I had a set of Yokohama Avid H4S which were actually pretty good, alas that was on a company Sentra where performance of any kind was not really a consideration.
Thanks, Pete

I use 225/45x17s with a Z speed rating on my '94 E36. I was completely comfortable in all of my driving, But while I am more than willing to do 90 on the freeway, I seldom drive to the limits of physical science. My tires (Kuhmo ASX) were quiet and comfortable, and did not hydro plane when given the opportunity. I haven't enough expereince with the BFGs as of yet. They are rated on tires.com as not having good wet-driving characteristics, but I haven't had enough wet to know if that is true. The BFGs are a good looking tire, but they are directional -- you must have the correct tires on the right side of the car. the Kuhmo ASX is not directional, they work okay on either side. I like the BFG, but I can't say that it is any better than the Kuhmo. It was convenient for me to get the BFG because they were in stock when I needed tires, the Kuhmo was a few days away and I didn't want to wait. (I had managed to wear a tire to the cord, and needed to replace them before I could drive my car anywhere.)
I feel confident in saying that you will like either the Kuhmo ASX or the BFG. BFG has a better name recognition, if that means anything to you.