E-box cooling fan failure?

Hello everyone,
I have a 2002 325xi with about 60,000 miles. I've been hearing a squealing noise that appears to come from just inside the dash behind
the steering wheel. The noise is there when I start the car (before putting into drive), and can also be heard while I'm driving (however, it's not ALWAYS present).
My dealership says is the e-box cooling fan. They indicated that the fan is working properly and it only needs to be replaced if it becomes bothersome to me or my wife. The cost to replace would be around $400.
Does it make sense that this fan should have problems after only 5 years? I'm surprised a BMW would have a computer fan last such a short time and require $400 worth of service -- particularly due to reputation of the brand--quality--and price of the car! This is on top of a headlight alignment problem from a year ago which I just had to have re-repaired this week, plus 2 window regulator failures and 3rd window reg problem that just showed up today!
Any help is appreciated -- I just want to be sure these things should be expected given the age and # of miles on the car.
Thanks! TMann