E numbers?

Just curious, but is there some logic behind BMW E-numbers. I was just passing by this group and I see E36, E39, E46 . . . yet they mean absolutely nothing to me (I understand my Z3 is an E36. That's about all ;-)

Thanks

OJ

Reply to
OJ

You'll find a guide on my site's BMW page :-)

John Burns

"OJ" wrote

Floyd Rogers

That list needs to be updated. Try

And to answer the question, no there really doesn't seem to be much logic behind the development numbers While your Z3 shares the E36 designation with the 3 series on which it was based, the '03~'09 Z4 is not called an E46, it is an E85!

It seems like the E numbers seem to make about as much sense as BMW displacement labels - the current 328i displaces a full 3 liters, but my E46

328i has a 2.8 liter motor! And the E46 323i was a 2.5 liter, IIRC. And the current 135i, 335i, and 535i are also three liters, but turbocharged! Etc., etc..

So a rose by any other name....

Tom

Reply to
Tom K.

Thank you all.

I'm not at all surprised that I couldn't work it out for myself

OJ

Reply to
OJ

The most important part of the E number is that you know what yours is. If you are shopping online for accessories or options, and the item fits an Enn, you need to know which one you have so you can determine that the item fits your car.

You can't buy floormats for a 325i, for example, because the 325i is available in several different E numbers, you have to buy the floormats that go to you E number, whether they fit the 325i, or any of the other cars in your group.

You might decide to visit eBay for rims, you need to know the E number so that the rim selection you are considering actually fits your car, even if the rims are not the same size as the ones you are taking off.

There are other reasons to know your E number ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Just wait until you start seeing references to F01, F10 & F11 too. Was quite a head scratcher to someone who does know his E numbers.....!

Reply to
Scott M