E28 driver's seat wanted

Looking for a driver's seat in burgundy for my 1987 535i. Maybe you have one in your closet from a scrapped car? Maybe you always wanted to get a Recaro seat and the offer of a little money for your old driver's seat will put you over the edge? I'm in Virginia, but would like to know if anyone has anything out there.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Power or manual? I have a tan power seat set (non-sport) from an '86 535i. I had to hand-build my sport seat from 2 I pulled from an e30. If your leather is in OK shape, it would transfer to another seat in a few hours. In Omaha, Nebraska.

Bill in Omaha '86 535i

Reply to
Bill

Power, but I'd probably take a manual one, except that my leather is fragmentary and disintegrating. A fellow here has a set of tan seats in excellent condition but I'd have to replace pretty much all of the leather because there is very little on my existing seat worth salvaging.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

-----

As a side note... I did a LOT of research and fitting of seats across the line from some older BMW seats. e23 will fit unmodified into e28. e30 needs a 2-inch bracket front and rear on the door side of the seat (inboard mounts to floor). e32 and newer seats I believe have a hook on the forward end of the bracket and bolt to the floor at the rear end. A hole could be drilled in the front end, but I haven't measured the seat bracket width to the holes across the models. I've seen a few modified and done well. Also, the seat and mount bracket can be separated on the manual seats from e23, e28, e24 and crossed to the passenger or driver seat and remounted. I did this, too. Power seats are a PITA in this respect. I went manual in the 535i and lost about 70-80 pounds of electric motors and such. I noticed a difference in handling and ride. Some local reupholsters in your area may be able to put together a new cover using your old one as a template. Seats froma junkyard may be the best bet cost-wise, but not time-wise.

Bill in Omaha '86 535i

Reply to
Bill