E28...wheel options?

I just picked up this ancient 1982 528e, for nothing. it has these little 14" wheels and tires on it. the car handles and stops pretty good, but i feel
like the little tires are holding it back. i just want to step up to 16, 17 inch wheels maybe. at least some 15's would be better
my friend has a set of e34 wheels i think they are 15inch. will the hub size and backspacing match up to my car? i also have a set of 18inch m5 wheels that fit, but i need some kind of hubcentric ring to center them on the hub. also i dont know what size tire i could use on an 18" rim in order to fit in the wheelwells without hitting.
again, i got the car for free and the body is not in the best shape (although there isnt any rust) i dont want to really spend a ton of money here i just was wondering what other people have done and whats possible, while using factory bmw wheels preferably. this is because i work at a dealership and i have access to used rims and tires, etc..

After searching the archive, it seems like the E34 15" wheels with 205/65R15 tires should fit just fine. Shock/spring clearance was mentioned as a reason not to go much wider.
FloydR

My personal preference would be 205/55/16s.

Any 15" wheel from a pre 89 5, 6 or 7 series will fit. Others will not.
16 ar ok but the suspension really isn't designed to give you a reasonable balance between ride and performance above that and frankly 16 is a stretch. YMMV.
I have 16" and 225/50-16 on my E24.
I had the M option e28, 1086 I think... 15" BBS wheels... Looked great, affordable tires and certainly back then, they were NOT made for anything bigger than 15. 16 would be ok if you don't mind a harsher ride.
But GOOD tires are more important than size... stiff sidewall... V rated or better... Shitty tires will just give you a shitty ride!

If you post the tire size you have, and the rim size you want to go to, I can calculate the tire size that will be an equivelent overall diameter. In short, you can get a tire that is the same outside diameter, and avoid the issues you are concerned about.
You have a few considerations, diameter, width, offset (or backspacing), and bolt pattern.

Nedavno Jeff Strickland pise:
| If you post the tire size you have, and the rim size you want to go | to, I can calculate the tire size that will be an equivelent overall | diameter.
Or OP can go here for a tire size calculator:
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **
Yvan wrote:

Where do you want to end up?

That should be 205/60/15.

If you are replacing TRX wheels, 215/60-15 are even closer.
Kevin Rhodes '86 535i, 15" e34 BBS crossspokes on the old girl, two sets of TRX wheels and tires in the garage