E30 320iSE 1991 Running/Choke problem

Hi all, my E30 is having running problems and I could do with a hand. It idles and revs fine until warmed up, plenty of power available, then once warm it starts to run rough, sometimes stalling at idle. The
exhaust becomes smokey at this point also, as if the mixture is far too rich. Sounds like the choke isn't releasing once it's up to temp. The ICV, throttle body and injectors have been cleaned through and new plugs installed recently, no difference. Anyone had a similar experience? Thinking of renewing all vacuum hoses as they're the originals, and cleaning sensor connectors etc. Any idea what i should try next? Is there any way to test for a faulty temp sensor or O2 sensor at home without bmw diagnostics kit?
Thanks very much!
Mark

I'm guessing this is a UK car, so no O2 sensors as there's no cat. Sounds like a bad temp sensor is leaving the car in cold start mode all the time.
John Burns wrote:

Thanks John, yes you're right it is a UK car, I didn't realise they didn't have the O2 sensor! I'll have a go at checking the temperature sensor and its connections, hopefully I can just do this with a multimeter.
Cheers
Mark
post the last 7 digits of your vin number.. I'll check to see if there was an O2 sensor fitted. dunno when they started getting cats and O2 sensors, but my '93 E30 has both. Does sound though, as John mentioned, that the computer is getting faulty input.
keith

Thanks for that Keith, I've sent you an email.
Mark

please resend to keith at iol dot ie k.