E30 325 mixture

My 1990 325 (non catalyst) has developed a strong smell of fuel most noticable in stnding traffic. My guess is that the mixture is too rich. There is some smoke from the exhaust during idle at normal temperature. I
have had the car for 15 years and never had this problem. Fuel economy is slightly up - performance is normal. Any suggestions as to the cause/remedy?
David
On Mon, 16 May 2005 17:32:47 +0000 (UTC), "David Haggas"

Look for leaking fuel hose. Had this problem and that's what I found. Just a pinhole in a rubber line will spray a fine mist that is quite hard to track down.

cause/remedy?
Just poke around with a lit bbq lighter under the hood while idling. Wherever it explodes, that's the leak.
;-)
-Russ.

Excellent.

Leaking rubber fuel hoses are quite a common problem with E30s. My '92 325iC had the same problem some years ago. I noticed a strong fule smell after each engine start. CAUTION: This damage cann possibly set your car on fire!
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Those cars are not getting any younger, are they?!
I just replaced all the fuel hoses in my car, when replacing the fuel pressure regulator and rubber o-ring seal. It is a cheap repair, anyone can do it at home and it brings peace of mind for years.
J.Pinto.
haute in die Tasten:

325iC had the

engine start.