E30 325 mixture

My 1990 325 (non catalyst) has developed a strong smell of fuel most noticable in stnding traffic. My guess is that the mixture is too rich. There is some smoke from the exhaust during idle at normal temperature. I have had the car for 15 years and never had this problem. Fuel economy is slightly up - performance is normal. Any suggestions as to the cause/remedy?

David

Reply to
David Haggas

Look for leaking fuel hose. Had this problem and that's what I found. Just a pinhole in a rubber line will spray a fine mist that is quite hard to track down.

Reply to
Psycho

cause/remedy?

Just poke around with a lit bbq lighter under the hood while idling. Wherever it explodes, that's the leak.

;-)

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody

Excellent.

Reply to
David Haggas

Psycho haute in die Tasten:

Leaking rubber fuel hoses are quite a common problem with E30s. My '92 325iC had the same problem some years ago. I noticed a strong fule smell after each engine start. CAUTION: This damage cann possibly set your car on fire!

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

Those cars are not getting any younger, are they?!

I just replaced all the fuel hoses in my car, when replacing the fuel pressure regulator and rubber o-ring seal. It is a cheap repair, anyone can do it at home and it brings peace of mind for years.

J.Pinto.

"Frank Kemper" escreveu na mensagem news:Xns9659803B286D5eldosampleman@130.133.1.18...

Reply to
J. Pinto