E30 325is question

Quick question about the E30 325is (can't find answer online, my apologies if this is painfully obvious)--did both the automatic and manual versions come with the 3.73:1 limited-slip differential, or does the automatic have a different ratio like in some 5-series model (E28, I think)?

PS On a related note, just bought my first BMW--an '88 325is, zinnoberrot, 5spd. Looks like a fun journey up ahead!

Reply to
Grayson

4.10:1, I believe. Look at:

or , if you prefer.

Obviously a man of taste!

Reply to
Ignasi Palou-Rivera

Especially in that color:

C.R. Krieger & Da Red Dog

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

All 5-speed 325i/is/iC models came with a 3.73

The 87 & 88s Automatic cars came with a 3.73

The 89-91 (or 93ic) Automatics came with a 4.10

E30 Forum:

Randy

89 325is
Randy W

Thanks to all who replied! Yeah, a friend of mine curbed my car hard, and took out the entire rear suspension,effectively :( Anyway, I found an '87 325isa in a junkyard with an intact rear suspension, and hence my question (which this answers quite well. Of course, I just pulled the rear suspension anyway and confirmed that it's a 3.73 LSD by reading the tag on the back of the diff...)

Can't wait to fix my car and start driving it again!

Reply to
Grayson

I am getting ready to do a 5 speed swap from an 87 325is to an 89

325i. How much difference will the 4.10 vs 3.73 rear gears make >>
Reply to
Psycho

You will lose 9.3% of your speed at any gear / rpm.

((4.10 - 3.73) / 3.73) * 100

Reply to
Malt_Hound

4.1 is what I run in my 318iS E30, it's the stock ratio. But for a 325i I feel it's the wrong choice. It'll be too buzzy at speed, drink petrol and 1st gear will be gone in a flash. The 325i makes way more low down torque than a 318iS and as a two valve engine isn't a suited to higher rpms compared to the four valve 318iS. Stick to 3.73.
Reply to
John Burns

Really? I had an 87 325i and it loved to rev. Remember, this is not the eta engine. I can't imagine a 4 pot that would rev more willingly than the M20B25 engine.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Try an M42 some day :-)

Reply to
John Burns

The 4.10 rear appears to be the stock rear gearing for the car with the autobox. I don't plan to change it and I understand that the 87 (also a 325i) has a stock rear ratio of 3.73. I could be wrong but that's what I've seen posted.

Reply to
Psycho

You should be fine. Unless you plan on running it out on the autobahn in which case you will lose about 10mph to the car with the stock rear gearing. So you'll only be able to go 110mph. But you'll get up to that speed much faster. ;-)

Reply to
Malt_Hound