E30 325is question

Quick question about the E30 325is (can't find answer online, my apologies if this is painfully obvious)--did both the automatic and manual versions come with the 3.73:1 limited-slip differential, or does
the automatic have a different ratio like in some 5-series model (E28, I think)?
PS On a related note, just bought my first BMW--an '88 325is, zinnoberrot, 5spd. Looks like a fun journey up ahead!

4.10:1, I believe. Look at:
<http://bmwe30.net/cgi-bin/datacgi/database.cgi?file=articles&report=view&ID 127&Section> or <http://tinyurl.com/cs7jc , if you prefer.

Obviously a man of taste!
--
Ignasi.
'90 325is
Ignasi Palou-Rivera wrote:

Especially in that color: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/578895 -- C.R. Krieger & Da Red Dog

All 5-speed 325i/is/iC models came with a 3.73
The 87 & 88s Automatic cars came with a 3.73
The 89-91 (or 93ic) Automatics came with a 4.10

E30 Forum: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f
Randy 89 325is http://tinyurl.com/exqqs
Thanks to all who replied! Yeah, a friend of mine curbed my car hard, and took out the entire rear suspension,effectively :( Anyway, I found an '87 325isa in a junkyard with an intact rear suspension, and hence my question (which this answers quite well. Of course, I just pulled the rear suspension anyway and confirmed that it's a 3.73 LSD by reading the tag on the back of the diff...)
Can't wait to fix my car and start driving it again!
I am getting ready to do a 5 speed swap from an 87 325is to an 89 325i. How much difference will the 4.10 vs 3.73 rear gears make in top end? I'm sure take off will be quicker and response to throttle changes will be more pronounced.
On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 01:47:53 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Randy W) wrote:

Psycho wrote:

You will lose 9.3% of your speed at any gear / rpm.
((4.10 - 3.73) / 3.73) * 100
--
-Fred W

4.1 is what I run in my 318iS E30, it's the stock ratio. But for a 325i I feel it's the wrong choice. It'll be too buzzy at speed, drink petrol and 1st gear will be gone in a flash. The 325i makes way more low down torque than a 318iS and as a two valve engine isn't a suited to higher rpms compared to the four valve 318iS. Stick to 3.73.
John Burns wrote:

Really? I had an 87 325i and it loved to rev. Remember, this is not the eta engine. I can't imagine a 4 pot that would rev more willingly than the M20B25 engine.
--
-Fred W

Try an M42 some day :-)
On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 14:59:29 +0100, John Burns

The 4.10 rear appears to be the stock rear gearing for the car with the autobox. I don't plan to change it and I understand that the 87 (also a 325i) has a stock rear ratio of 3.73. I could be wrong but that's what I've seen posted.
Psycho wrote:

You should be fine. Unless you plan on running it out on the autobahn in which case you will lose about 10mph to the car with the stock rear gearing. So you'll only be able to go 110mph. But you'll get up to that speed much faster. ;-)
--
-Fred W