E30 Engine problem Solved

A while back I was searching out a problem where my car would not turn above ~1500RPM. I finally got sick of trying parts (fuel pump, filter, air
meter) so I took it to the most recommended shop around. They had it for over a month trying to track down the issue. It was setting a cam sensor code, but they replaced it with one known working to no avail. Upon request I tracked down a used computer on ebay, thank you to all who helped, but that also made no difference. Turns out that a new scope they had purchased finally revealed a lot of noise from the crank position sensor. Replaced that and ~$600 lighter I'm back on the road. I had never heard of a crank sensor going partially bad like that, only quitting completely. Anyway, thanks to all who offered thoughts on my issue.
Matt '91 318is

This is on your '91 318? Has it actually got a cam position sensor? Thought that only came in with VANOS.
Crank position sensors do go 'iffy' - had one on my E39, but it threw up a code. They used screened cable, so it's quite likely a fault there could introduce spurious triggering.
--
*The e-mail of the species is more deadly than the mail *

Thank You very much for posting your final resolution. It helps us all to know how these problems are finally resolved.
Jack '91 318is