E30 exhaust system recommendations

Hi all, I installed an aftermarket exhaust system on my `91 318is about 3 years back, and the fit was awful. Within about 2 years, the weld at the back end of the resonator cracked. Can anyone reccomend a better
source? Would a dealership sell something better, or is it all from the same mfr?
Thanks,
Scott
"aftermarket exhaust system" could be just about anything. Why don't you tell everyone more specifiaclly what you installed?
tbrown wrote:

I can recommend BMW genuine parts. I got a rear section about 4 years ago for my E30 325 sport. It was stamped BMW and made by Eberspacher. I had a job to lift it off the floor. Expensive but built to last!
David

I second your comments David: I replaced the 12 year old rear box & tailpipe in my '93 E30 with the recomended BMW parts: stamped BMW, made by Eberspacher. its solid, fits *perfectly*, looks well and I'm led to believe that it flows as well as the best.
keith

excuse me for offtopic, but did you say 1993 E30? didn't they stop making of it in the 1992? i mean, switched to e36?

of
I've seen several 1993 E30 325ic, but no fixed heads.

making
The convertible was the only one that was carried beyond 1991.
The Eberspacher is a good peice -- utterly perfect fit, reasonable exhaust note, very reasonable price. I had one problem with mine though -- if your exhaust straps rust, they will cause rust on the outer skin of the muffler, and if you move them, you'll make holes where the straps were. So I recommend new hanger straps if you're swapping mufflers.
For now I cheated and wrapped aluminum around the muffler, used exhaust cement on the seams, and put new straps (which I happened to have collecting dust) on it. My old ones were so bad that one actually broke and was dragging on the ground, the other broke while I was tending the first one.
The rubber donuts are a *pain* to deal with, but it is possible to change out the straps and donuts even with the muffler installed.
-Russ. -Russ.

making
you mean, they still have 170hp instead of 192?

You mean does the 1993 E30 325ic have the engine from the E36? I suspect not.

No I'm pretty certain it's still M20 not the M50.
-Russ.

i'm asking, because i'm confused with the term "fixed heads" what does that mean?

that
Sorry, fixed head just means not a convertible.
filip wrote:

My guess is the poster was trying to say "hard tops" as in sedans. The E30 (with M20 engines) continued on from 1992 through 1994 in the form of a cabrio, while the sedans and coupes (fixed heads?) became E36's (with the M50 motor) in '92.
--
-Fred W
Toys for sale, Hey get your toys here:

Indeed, as I subsequently said in a follow-up. Fixed-head Coupe (FHC), or Drop-head Coupe (DHC) are quite commonly used to refer to classic cars such as Jaguar, TVR, Aston Martin, etc. In fact, if you Google the words 'fixed head' the top result refers to a Jaguar.
not*yahoo.com"> wrote in message

such
'fixed
thanks for clearing that out :) i never heard that expression. i only heard - drop top, convertible, cabrio, hard-top, soft-top and...i think that's it.

here's my '93
www.iol.ie/~home/93 bmw.png
I beleive they still sold the "Touring" till mid '94. there's a lovely '94 touring living round the corner from here.

The link is bad Keith. Can you check?

Try this:
http://www.iol.ie/~home/93%20bmw.png
-Russ.

Thanks Russ.
Nice car Keith. There's just something about the E30.... Of course it's all opinion, but the E21 didn't have it, and the E36 certainly didn't have it.

yes, sweet ride keith...looks very maintained...got any more pics?