E30 Fuel Pump question

My 1990 325i would not start after a trip to the local hardware store today. I had the car towed home. The car starts and then shuts off almost immediately. So.....I think it is the fuel pump because I do not hear any
noise from the gas tank when turning the key to the on position. Is there a simple way to check if it is the fuel pump ? Is there something else that I should be checking? Thanks for any replies.
--
Peter J. Alicea
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Fuel pump relay. Crankshaft position sensor?
FloydR

The pump doesn't run continuously when the ignition is switched on - it might flood the engine if an injector was leaking and otherwise would run down the battery unecessarily. Not sure about your model, but some run for a few seconds to pressurise the system - others just when you operate the starter and of course when the engine fires.
Fuel pump and the main PI relays are always the first suspects, though.
--
*Husband and cat lost -- reward for cat

Remove the lower portion of the back seat and the cover that the fuel pump is under. Once you get to the fuel pump, unplug the two wire connector from the top of the pump and connect a test light between the connections on the harness. Try to start the car while observing the light, if it lights up while the starter is turning, suspect the pump, if not then the problem is elsewhere in the circuit. If it lights up, disconnect the fuel hose from the pump and connect a long hose to it. Put it in a large bottle and reconnect the harness. Try to start the car again and see if fuel is pumped into the bottle. This can be done with 12v from any source and does nothing more than verify the pump is pumping. Good luck and please don't blow yourself up...
On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 22:32:41 -0400, "Peter J Alicea"