E30 Oil Level Check Light

Hi all, I changed the starter motor on my E30 320i this weekend, and all went well except that the oil level light is now lit on the overhead checkpanel. The dipstick shows the level as being about half way between the min and max lines.

Does anyone know what the threshold level is for the checklight to come on? I'm hoping that it's a coincidence and just needs a drop more oil, rather than an electrical problem with the sensor caused by my work on the starter motor this weekend. The wiring for the sensor does travel right past where I was working and it's cramped in there so I'm hoping I haven't disturbed the loom and broken a connection somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Mark

ps i have just read the recent thread at

MarkS

AFAIK, its a "close- to- earth" arrangement.. so if its earthing anywhere else on that circuit, it will show a light.

ive only seen mine (M40 engine) light up when level was below dipstick.. when changing oil i hasten to add.

can you reach the end of the wire and pull it off the connector? if it still shows a light, you have a faulty circuit (earthing) someplace. if not, you have a faulty sensor.

Reply to
keith

Thanks for that, in that case it does sound like a wire is earthed somewhere as a result of moving the loom out the way to get at the starter. The float sensor is easily accessible so I'll disconnect it and do some tests.

Thanks

Mark

Reply to
MarkS