e30 Refuses to Start

Seasons Greetings all.

I've run into a particularly odd problem with a "project" 325e manufactured 8/86 that simply refuses to start. Here's a brief run down of what occurred:

  1. I received the vehicle from a mechanic who had a lien against the title due to non payment.
  2. It had a used engine that had been installed.
  3. The reference and speed sensor wires had been cut, the radiator removed and the cooling system disconnected. After many hours of re-routing, and filling the cooling system to find the heater core leaking, I finally reassembled the car.
4.Turned it over and it started, ran, not particularly well perhaps due to , but ran none-the-less.

Hearing that the muffler was leaking, I removed it, and replaced it. Installed the new muffler, and reconnected the O2 sensor. It was at this point that the vehicle refused to start again.:

1.Checking the obvious,I removed the muffler and left only the pipe to the mid section to verify back pressure.
  1. I found that there is spark,
  2. compression is good, and
  3. fuel delivery is 41PSI at the rail.
  4. Passed the reference sensor over a metal tab, and heard the relay click and verified fuel delivery.
  5. Removed, tested and reinstalled all relays.
  6. Verified sound of relay for fuel injection.

When I directly connect the cold start valve to 12v, the car immediately starts, however it runs rough, as there is no direct injection there. as soon as the Cold Start is disconnected, the engine cuts off. Any ideas on why fuel is not getting past the injectors (ALL

6?!?!) and what would be any suggestions for what I can do next. I'm as wits end as to what to do now. Thanks for your time and knowledge!

'Cube

Reply to
abe.harper

If it runs when the cold start is on then I'd say your temp sensor or it's wiring is kaput.

Reply to
John Burns

First guess is it's not getting a trigger from the ignition system - assuming this is stand alone rather than an integrated mapped type. Haven't any data on this model - too old. But I have a car with a Lucas EFI system from that era which is similar to contemporary Bosch systems and that won't inject without a feed from the ignition - which is an inline resistor from the coil LT side.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)