E30 Springs

Hi all, I need to replace the coil springs on all four corners of my 1990 UK 320iSE as I have found a broken front and a broken rear coi. The question is whether the SE model was fitted with anything other
than the standard E30 spring? I think the car looks a bit lower than non-SE E30s but maybe that's just the SE valance and skirt trims giving that impression. I want to maintain the car's factory height and ride/handling. If they're the same I guess I'm safe to get some generic E30 springs from eurocarparts or similar. Any knowledge or advice appreciated!
Many thanks
Mark

The SE had the normal springs.
Some 320i's towards the end of production had //M-Tech suspension fitted as an option. If you have this you're 15mm lower than stock. I have this on my 318iS and it's great.
John Burns wrote:

Thanks John, I guess it's possible that they're the M-Tech spring then, being a 1990 car? Do they have a different marking or coloured flash to identify them from the standard length do you know?
Mark

On the off chance they are stock E30 springs, I've got a set you're welcome to for the cost of shipping. This goes for anyone else that may need them. I'm in Orlando, FL but go to Kingsland, GA every weekend. These can be picked up if anyone needs them close to me or I may be able to arrange to get them closer to you.
Mike
Psycho wrote:

Thanks, but I'm in the UK so I think I'll be able to buy them here cheaper than the international shipping rate. I'm sure there are plenty of US readers who will be interested in your offer though!
Cheers
Mark

They do :-)
But I don't know the colour codes :-(
John Burns wrote:

Thanks, I think I'll just assume mine are the standard length coils rather than the M-Techs.
Mark
MarkS wrote:

UPDATE:
I fitted the new springs successfully at the weekend; the standard E30 length/rate spring we correct and the car has maintained its original stance and ride. Thanks!
Mark

Broken springs all round? Has the car been "joy" ridden over speed humps etc.? Best check all the mountings, chassis etc. as well.
The low ride height could be as a result of worn (read compressed) springs or non standard sports springs being fitted. You should be OK fitting standard springs or generic replacements from Europarts (not the very cheapest) unless you are going rallying or drive like a twocer.
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

No not to my knowledge, and certainly not during my ownership. There are only two broken springs actually, in opposite corners, but I'm not going to partner new springs with old ones. I think the car may have lived by the sea at some stage as I have found sandy deposits in places so certain areas have more corrosion than you'd expect; possibly that's why they have failed. The ride height looks right for that car, doesn't have the daft 'lowered' look, so i don't think anybody's fitted anything non-standard. It's not a rally car mate, and I don't know what a twocer is but I certainly don't drive like one.

quite right!

and perhaps wear on bushes etc. from sand getting in.

An old 320i is a very nice car, but not really in rally car terratory - I think you should get a lot of enjoyment from it.

TWOC - police parlance - Taken WithOut Consent. You can imagine and may have seen how such cars are driven. Broken springs, bent mountings, damaged wheels and bent bodywork etc. are very common results.