e30 Steering Problems

My 1988 325ix has lost its power steering, I replaced the pump with a used unit, still no difference, steering is very heavy. There are no fluid leeks or bellows full of fluid, is it time for a rack rebuild? or
could there be something else causing the problem?.....
Brad

What's a fluid leek? I *love* leeks, and I only ask in case there's a new kind of leek that I haven't tried yet.
--
Dan.