e30 steering rack boot

I've torn one of my steering rack boots and am looking for ways to replace the boot. What is the easiest way? Can it be done without realigning the front wheels? (The tie rods were replaced a couple of
years ago so I just want to do both boots.) Thank you- David 88 325is

Mark both the track rod and track rod end with Tippex, etc in a line. Slacken the nut. Undo the track rod end counting the number of turns. Remove lock nut and fit new boot. Reassemble carefully.
--
*Stable Relationships Are For Horses.

Dave- Thank you for responding. Will the track rod rotate freely once the nut is slackened or do you have to remove the tie rod so it will turn. I've not heard of Tippex (a UK product? We might use White Out) but I know what you're saying which is an excellent idea. David

It will, but it might be difficult to count the turns this way. I'd disconnect the track rod end from the steering arm - counting that while turning it is easier. You'll need a puller for this, but they're not expensive.

That's probably the same thing. Originally for correcting typing mistakes?
--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance. *

Yes, White Out and Tippex do the same thing. It's good for them we've found other purposes because there are much better products nowadays. I've ordered my parts and feel confident in going after this. Thank you- David

But not to sniff. ;-)

Best of luck.

You're welcome. But do take a *lot* of care to count properly on and off for it to work. I do use this method, but also have the tracking checked afterwards. Tyres are expensive.
--
*In "Casablanca", Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam" *