E30 valvetrain question

I recently had my M40 valvetrain overhauled, new cam, belt, followers, and lifters. Basically, it needed to be done as it refused to rev over 5250 RPM
and was rattling like a skeleton in a biscuit tin. Unfortunately, I hadn't time to do the work myself, so I entrusted it to an old family friend of my GF who runs his own repair business.
I got the car back, it revs to around 6300 or so (never dared take my eyes off the road to be more exact!) and is definitely much sharper, but anything above idle speed and the dam thing still rattles. Not as much as it used to, but it's there. So the question is, should it still do this? I don't think it should, but before I go down there and start moaning, I would like some sort of feedback of other peoples' experiences on this. TIA.
Been there, done that. I've come to the conclusion that the classic M40 rattle is due to worn valve guides.

Damn, the one thing I missed. I guess it would make sense, but at the same time, shouldn't I be seeing other symptoms of worn guides? The car refuses to use any more oil than it should, and smoke of any sort is conspicuous by its absence.
Looks like I'll just live with it for a time, at least until I get the inspiration together to tear the top end down myself when the weather gets a bit warmer. Like next spring maybe.