E32 Ventillation Problems

My recently acquired 730 doesn't want to share it's air with me :-(
I can hear the blower motor going (and it's speed varies according to the fan control) but no matter what I do with the
heater/ventillation/aircon controls I can't get any air to come out of anywhere.
Does anyone have any suggestions for this problem?
--
Regards

Steve G

need the shop manual if you plan to fix it yourself.
JimV wrote:

Rats! I was rather hoping you wouldn't say that :-)
--
Regards

Steve G

Hmm, considering there is no air coming from *any* outlet, I'd first check for a totally clogged microfilter.
--
/"\ Jan Kalin (male, preferred languages: Slovene, English)
\ / http://charm.zag.si/eng /, email: "name dot surname AT zag dot si"
Jan Kalin wrote:

Now that sounds like a plan :-)
Cheers Jan
--
Regards

Steve G

Sounds a real simple job. Even managed to get to it without too much trouble ... but how to get it out past the steering column? This is a right hand drive car BTW.
After about an hour of trying all sorts of angles, bending, cursing and swearing I decide to use brute force and give it a real hard tug. Low and behold it hits the steering column again only this time the bottom half slides out leaving the top half in place.
D'oh! Never thought it might actually be in two pieces. That's what you get for deciding to remove the old one before going to get a new one - just in case.
Anyway, I now have loads of air spilling from all the vents ... but no aircon. Hey Ho!
Thanks to everyone for their assistance.
--
Regards

Steve G

:)
I might add that on the weekend just before I sent the suggestion I spent about two hours changing the filter (luckily left-hand drive) so I completely understand your plight :)
On an E34 you need to lift the filter and tilt the upper edge towards the firewall, otherwise you can't pull it out...

Needs gas?
Cheers!
--
/"\ Jan Kalin (male, preferred languages: Slovene, English)
\ / http://charm.zag.si/eng /, email: "name dot surname AT zag dot si"
Jan Kalin wrote: <big snip>

That's my first thought too. I'll have to have a bit of a phone around on Monday and see what it's gonna cost me I suppose.
Of course, I had to choose the hottest day of the year (so far) to get intimate with the problem - which didn't help :-)
--
Regards

Steve G