E32 wheel wobble (still!)

Page 1 of 2
Friend's 1994 E32 740iL (88k miles) fitted with what look like E39 16" wheels. He had a pretty bad wobble at about 70-80mph. changed the T/C arms &
bushes and also both track rods (old ones were seized and one ball joint was knackered). Still wobbled! Swapped whels from front to rear and now the wobble is *much* worse and appears at ~50mph!! Could this wobble be due to the E39 wheels not being suited to the E32 hubs? Does he need to fit hub-centering rings?? Any advice or help much appreciated. JB

Almost certainly, yes. I have E39 wheels on my E28 with the rings and it's fine.

JB
snipped-for-privacy@Nospam.co.uk JB says...

Indeed so. *Finally* found a place that does said rings (weirdly they were only 2 miles from my front door!) and now all is very, very well indeed.
Many thanks to those who replied.
--
Bear
"The deep south? Isn't that the place where the black guys are really

If the wheels do not register on the hubs, yes. The wheel bolts alone are not enough to ensure the wheel is concentric with the hub. I have 17" E39 M-Tech wheels with centreing rings on my E34. No problems at all. Mike.

Many thanks.
JB
JB wrote:

My 730i also suffers from this "shimmy" which at times (usually under hard braking) can become uncomfortable. The car is fitted with 16" BMW wheels but I don't know which model they originally came from.
Some while ago I found a web site that showed pictures of the various wheel styles used by BMW ... but can I find it again - call I heck as like! Does anyone know of a URL that has this information?
Also, how can I tell whether my wheels should have centreing rings, or not?
Your assistance much appreciated, as always.
--
Regards

Steve G

Okay, I think I've found the wheels that are fitted to my car on www.bmwwheels.com. They're from a 5 Series E39 (Spoke Styling 33?) - BMW Part No. 36 11 1 092 209 - does that help in deciding if they need centreing rings?
--
Regards

Steve G
dot> wrote:

740iL! Thanks for the info. If I find any centering rings I'll let you know.
cheers, JB

IF they are actually E39 wheels - they won't be helped with centering rings since the center hubcentric diameter is SMALLER than any other BMW used (dunno why BMW did this - they just did..)
E39 wheels can only be used on E39's. He should look for the right rings for his car before he destroys his car or looses control and kills someone.
Don wrote:

wheels fitted and know other 7 series owners that have different E39 style wheels fitted.
--
Regards

Steve G
Don wrote:

"The center hub diameter of the wheels used on E39 models is 74mm, which is larger than the 72.5mm center hub diameter used on other BMW models.
Wheels from other BMW models will not fit over the E39 hubs, and therefore cannot be installed. Conversely, wheels from E39 models will fit over the hub of other BMW models, but they will not properly center, and therefore must not be installed"
I think you got things the wrong way around, Don. 'Tis easy to do, mate :-))
--
Regards

Steve G
> I think you got things the wrong way around, Don. 'Tis easy to do, mate

Yesterday was Monday right? It's entirely possible I had things completely wrong. It gets better as the week progresses..
:)
Don wrote:

I know that feeling! Things also tend to be clearer after half a bottle of red and complete crystal clarity comes at the end of the bottle :-))
--
Regards

Steve G
dot> wrote:

Not true. My '94 E34 has E39 M-Tech style 66 wheels, with centreing rings, because the wheel hub bores are *larger* than the hub locating diameters. Mike.

IF they are actually E39 wheels - they won't be helped with centering rings since the center hubcentric diameter is SMALLER than any other BMW used (dunno why BMW did this - they just did..)
E39 wheels can only be used on E39's. He should look for the right rings for his car before he destroys his car or looses control and kills someone.
dot> wrote:

You got any links for this info? (hub diameters of e32/e39 etc?) cheers, JB

If the wheels aren't a tight fit on the hub centering rings, you've got the answer. Steel wheels are sometimes centred by the fixings, but I've not seen ally ones which are.
--
*It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Try Land Rover. The wheels fit onto the ends of the hubs with no positive location and are held in place purely by the wheel nuts.
--
Regards

Steve G

Do they use taper nuts?
--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites?