E32 wheel wobble (still!)

Friend's 1994 E32 740iL (88k miles) fitted with what look like E39 16" wheels. He had a pretty bad wobble at about 70-80mph. changed the T/C arms & bushes and also both track rods (old ones were seized and one ball joint was knackered). Still wobbled! Swapped whels from front to rear and now the wobble is *much* worse and appears at ~50mph!! Could this wobble be due to the E39 wheels not being suited to the E32 hubs? Does he need to fit hub-centering rings?? Any advice or help much appreciated. JB

Reply to
JB

Almost certainly, yes. I have E39 wheels on my E28 with the rings and it's fine.

Reply to
John Burns

If the wheels do not register on the hubs, yes. The wheel bolts alone are not enough to ensure the wheel is concentric with the hub. I have 17" E39 M-Tech wheels with centreing rings on my E34. No problems at all. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Thanks John.

JB

Reply to
JB

Many thanks.

JB

Reply to
JB

My 730i also suffers from this "shimmy" which at times (usually under hard braking) can become uncomfortable. The car is fitted with 16" BMW wheels but I don't know which model they originally came from.

Some while ago I found a web site that showed pictures of the various wheel styles used by BMW ... but can I find it again - call I heck as like! Does anyone know of a URL that has this information?

Also, how can I tell whether my wheels should have centreing rings, or not?

Your assistance much appreciated, as always.

Reply to
SteveG

Okay, I think I've found the wheels that are fitted to my car on

They're from a 5 Series E39 (Spoke Styling 33?) - BMW Part No. 36 11 1 092 209 - does that help in deciding if they need centreing rings?

Reply to
SteveG

They are exactly the same as the ones causing the problem on my friends

740iL! Thanks for the info. If I find any centering rings I'll let you know.

cheers, JB

Reply to
JB

IF they are actually E39 wheels - they won't be helped with centering rings since the center hubcentric diameter is SMALLER than any other BMW used (dunno why BMW did this - they just did..)

E39 wheels can only be used on E39's. He should look for the right rings for his car before he destroys his car or looses control and kills someone.

Reply to
Don

IF they are actually E39 wheels - they won't be helped with centering rings since the center hubcentric diameter is SMALLER than any other BMW used (dunno why BMW did this - they just did..)

E39 wheels can only be used on E39's. He should look for the right rings for his car before he destroys his car or looses control and kills someone.

Reply to
Don

You got any links for this info? (hub diameters of e32/e39 etc?) cheers, JB

Reply to
JB

You sure about this Don? I've seen quite a few 7 series with these wheels fitted and know other 7 series owners that have different E39 style wheels fitted.

Reply to
SteveG

According to the TIS: "The center hub diameter of the wheels used on E39 models is 74mm, which is larger than the 72.5mm center hub diameter used on other BMW models.

Wheels from other BMW models will not fit over the E39 hubs, and therefore cannot be installed. Conversely, wheels from E39 models will fit over the hub of other BMW models, but they will not properly center, and therefore must not be installed"

I think you got things the wrong way around, Don. 'Tis easy to do, mate :-))

Reply to
SteveG

Yesterday was Monday right? It's entirely possible I had things completely wrong. It gets better as the week progresses..

:)

Reply to
Don

If the wheels aren't a tight fit on the hub centering rings, you've got the answer. Steel wheels are sometimes centred by the fixings, but I've not seen ally ones which are.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not true. My '94 E34 has E39 M-Tech style 66 wheels, with centreing rings, because the wheel hub bores are *larger* than the hub locating diameters. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Try Land Rover. The wheels fit onto the ends of the hubs with no positive location and are held in place purely by the wheel nuts.

Reply to
SteveG

I know that feeling! Things also tend to be clearer after half a bottle of red and complete crystal clarity comes at the end of the bottle :-))

Reply to
SteveG

In article , SteveG > If the wheels aren't a tight fit on the hub centering rings, you've got

Do they use taper nuts?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep, and they are fairly massive (24mm socket needed) and heavy. The hubs are studded and the clearance between the stud and the wheel is pretty tight - it encourages you to use copper grease when putting the wheels back on :-)

My local tyre fitting emporium (no longer getting my custom) once forgot to torque up the front wheel nuts when they put new boots on the Discovery ... it made for "interesting" steering at 70mph!

Reply to
SteveG