E34 1995 TDS water pump query...

Can anyone confirm if the water pump in a 1995 E34 525 TDS has a plastic or metal impellor and whether is prone to sudden failure ?
The garage thought / said it was metal but it has just ? possibly ?
failed - the car overheats very quickly and shuts down to a 30 mph limp home mode.
If so, how much is a pump and the labour involved to change ?
Cue John Burns ?
Thanks,
Nick
Nick wrote:

you have without removing it. For your car, BMW went from plastic impeller to metal, back to plastic (albeit a different material).
I recently changed the waterpump in my 90 535i with one from Laso, it had a metal impeller (like the original). I recall the pump costing around $35, labor is probably an hour or so.
Interestingly, there is a new "hi performance" pump for your car, made by Stewart. Supposedly it puts out something like 20% more water flow. Its expensive, but if you're having cooling issues, may be well worth it. For more:
http://www.stewartcomponents.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=BMWHPWP

I'm not sure it fits a diesel engine - certainly it fits the M20, M30 and M50 engines, but diesel may be a different kettle of fish. It also probably isn't available in EU/UK, where the OP is.
FloydR
Floyd Rogers wrote:

will work on m20 and m50 engines, but unfortunately, not on the m30. Agree it may not be available in the UK, yet. If its as good as claimed, I wouldn't be surprise to see it cross the pond.
Floyd Rogers wrote:

will work on m20 and m50 engines, but unfortunately, not on the m30. Agree it may not be available in the UK, yet. If its as good as claimed, I wouldn't be surprise to see it cross the pond.
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the interest - Yes I am in the UK... I would be happy for a current plastic impellor if not metal in any new pump - someone else replied the modern plastic impellors are a different plastic compared to the older ones so are now OK
Not sure what the problem is yet - pump comes out tomorrow for a look.
Nick