E34 540i sticky brake pedal

1994 540i automatic. Brake pedal sticks when pressed, thus leaving the brake lights on. I can pull it back up with my foot and the lights go out. Even though pedal sticks, it doesn't feel as if the brakes
themselves are sticking.
Is this a simple thing like needing to lube the brake pedal mechanism, or something else? Thoughts? Thanks.

Is the car left or right hand drive? If it's a right hand drive car I might know why......

I had this same problem on my RHD E28. The damn things are designed as LHD and the master cylinder is also on the lefthand side of the engine bay. It's 'remotely' operated by a linkage rod running across the bulkhead from the pdel on the right side of the vehicle. The pivots for this rod often get overlooked when it comes to lubrication maintenance. A few drop od oil and all will be well. Of course if it is a LHD vehicle, all bets are off.
JB
It is left-hand drive.
message 1994540iautomatic. Brake pedal sticks when pressed, thus leaving the

sounds to me like you have a sticking caliper. Also check the condition of your master cylinder, may be time for a rebuild/ replacement.
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, everyone.
Turns out it wasn't the master cylinder, calipers or pedal... my mechanic took out a "joint" somewhere in the brake line, cleaned & lubed it, and now the car brakes like a dream. Smoother than it ever has since I've owned it.
On Jan 29, 9:01 am, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

There ought to be a rather substantial spring that returns the pedal to the top when you remove your foot.