e34 advice please

Hi

Just a simple question :)

My 1996 e34 520i SE Touring is my second e34 and I seem to recall the

1st one had the cold/hot thumbwheel on the upper centre dash fresh air vent lit at night time.

This item is not lit on my current e34, before I go searching for a blown bulb etc can some else confirm that this is lit at night time?

Thanks

Reply to
Steve Parry

Depends on the model year. The earlier cars did illuminate, but the later E34s changed this control (even though the wiring and the bulb holder are still there) to a different design which does not light up.

I spent a lot of time trying to figure this out on my 1995 E34 M5 before I discovered that BMW stopped illuminating this control.

Reply to
Philip K

Philip K fumbled, fiddled and fingered:

thanks Phil, my current 5 is a Feb 1996 so I guess I was correct in recalling the 1989 530 did illuminate :)

Do I assume from what you're saying that as the wiring and bulb holder is still there I merely have to pop a bulb in to get it to work?

Reply to
Steve Parry

Sadly not. The rotary control has changed and no longer has a place in it for the bulb to go. Hence the bulb holder just lies under the large ventilation grill (the one at the top centre of the dash).

There's a really good write-up of how the bulb fits in the OLDER design at

(although this is for an E327-series it's the same as the earlier E34s).

Reply to
Philip K

Thanks for that ..

Reply to