e34 advice please

Hi
Just a simple question :)
My 1996 e34 520i SE Touring is my second e34 and I seem to recall the 1st one had the cold/hot thumbwheel on the upper centre dash fresh air
vent lit at night time.
This item is not lit on my current e34, before I go searching for a blown bulb etc can some else confirm that this is lit at night time?
Thanks
--
Steve Parry
K100RS SE & F650

Depends on the model year. The earlier cars did illuminate, but the later E34s changed this control (even though the wiring and the bulb holder are still there) to a different design which does not light up.
I spent a lot of time trying to figure this out on my 1995 E34 M5 before I discovered that BMW stopped illuminating this control.
--
Philip

[Don't top post. Quote selectively. Don't use HTML. Enjoy Usenet]
Philip K fumbled, fiddled and fingered:

thanks Phil, my current 5 is a Feb 1996 so I guess I was correct in recalling the 1989 530 did illuminate :)
Do I assume from what you're saying that as the wiring and bulb holder is still there I merely have to pop a bulb in to get it to work?
--
Steve Parry
K100RS SE & F650

Sadly not. The rotary control has changed and no longer has a place in it for the bulb to go. Hence the bulb holder just lies under the large ventilation grill (the one at the top centre of the dash).
There's a really good write-up of how the bulb fits in the OLDER design at http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_37.htm (although this is for an E32 7-series it's the same as the earlier E34s).
--
Philip

[Don't top post. Quote selectively. Don't use HTML. Enjoy Usenet]

Thanks for that ..
--
Steve Parry
K100RS SE & F650