E34 coolant leak - can I fix it?

Hi

1992 525i I've had since new & maintained by BMW, 116,000 mi. The car has a relatively new water pump (last major service).

Noticed a small puddle of coolant on garage floor yesterday. Looked into the engine compartment and it's wet at the base of the reservoir (seems integral to the radiator on L/H side). I do not know if the reservoir is separate/removable or not, but if there is a seal at the base of it, my suspicion is that is what may be leaking.

If it is separate, is it a big deal/tricky to fix myself? I've some experience tinkering with cars and a respectable set of tools.

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks, Nate

Reply to
N Williamson

"N Williamson" wrote

Time for a new radiator. BMW went to aluminum cores with plastic reservoirs and they're crap (although the older ones are better than newer ones.) You can even spend more money for a completely metal one rather than OEM, but it's not likely to be cost-effective given the age and miles of the car.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Just crack an egg or two into it.

Steve

Reply to
Tbird-Steve

go here and search or post, they will solve your issues fast and properly...

SharkmanBMW!

Thanks. I had seen this link in a reply of yours on another subject and it looks encouraging. Still looking into the do's and don'ts of the forum aside from the FAQ.

Nate

Reply to
N Williamson

I'm going to look into the all metal version. I plan on having the car another 10 years or so. Thanks.

Nate

Reply to
N Williamson