E34 electric window problems...

The E34 tourer I have has the same problem with both rear windows, the electric motors don't seem to have enough 'go' to close the windows.
Has anyone fixed this sort of problem? Is it simply a case of pulling
the door apart and lubricating the mechanism (when I looked at one it seemed pretty clean) or is there more to it than this?
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f

Likely lack of use. Using them a few times a day for a couple of weeks may help.

I had this on my E34 Touring recently. I lubricated the all of the window guide rubbers with silicone oil (Pledge often works too!), and took the door cards off and regreased all of the linkages and operating arms. The rear windows are now better than the fronts! Don't let them get any worse or you'll find the torque from the motor breaks the nylon guide 'pegs' in the 'scissor' part of the operating mechanism. This is a bastard to fix as the parts are not available separately. (I got my 'spares' from a local breakers but still had to strip out the doors on 4 cars to find a good pair of pegs!).
cheers, JB