e34 fan clutch

hi, i have an e34 535sport. the fan is not turning very quickly and the car is overheating in traffic. i've heard that a common fault on this model is the fan clutch. any advice on the procedure for repairing/replacing this would be much appreciated. cheers!

Reply to
FairKop

New fan clutch I'm afraid - If in the UK try GSF or Euro Car Parts.

Reply to
Oscar

The fan clutch is easy to replace. The center nut is a reverse thread, the normal rule lefty loosy righty tighty is reverse.

You might need to bind the pulley against the belt, but the spec on the nut is inch pounds, and should come loose pretty easily.

You might have to remove the fan shroud, but I'm pretty sure I replaced the clutch on my 325i without doing that. The fan clutch and the fan will come out together, and when you get to the bench, you separate them and replace the worn part.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland