E34 Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement Question

I think I managed to break my 1995 525t ignition lock cylinder today. The key rotates but the shaft to the actual switch doesn't. The Bentley manual simply says to insert a stiff wire into the cylinder and pull it
out. Which I've tried with a stick pin and that didn't work.
I also have this antenna ring that mounts on the outside of the cylinder where the key gets inserted.
Does this antenna ring need to come out? Can the ring be pulled without some sort of special tool?
Any hints would be appreciated.
The ring needs to come off.
However, your bigger issue is that if the lock cylinder is freewheeling full time, you will not be able to remove it with the stiff wire.
You will need to replace the lock cylinder AND the steering lock/housing assembly.
The lock cylinder freewheels when a tiny cast tab breaks off. The tab is designed to break if someone tries to force the ignition, but they also tend to break after years of use. Once the cylinder is freewheeling, you cannot turn it to align the pin hole with the catch, so the stiff wire trick can't work. There is no other way to get the cylinder out, so you have to discard the entire housing.
Brett Anderson KMS - Koala Motorsport www.bmw-stuff.com