E34 Rear shock replacement

My E34 has about 129k, I replaced the front Struts at 100k but my mechanic said he rarely replaces the rear. I think there is some noise (squeeking) coming from the rear right. Any adivise on when to change
these shocks, or what type would be helpful, thx..

Strange question. Usually shocks are replaced when they leak or become inneficient, not at a particular mileage. A squeeking one would suggest that it needs replacing, if it does, in the interests of safety, both rear shocks should be changed, not just the the one that squeeks.
As for type. Depends on what you want to pay. I recently paid under 40 each for the Boge gas rear shocks on my E34. They seem fine, and better than the originals they replaced, but then those had done quite a high mileage. It remains to be seen how long the new ones last. Mike.
On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 22:44:02 +0100, Mike G wrote:

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/suspension/rear_shocks.htm
My mechanic did the same thing. The front shock was leaking, so both fronts were replaced. I should have also done the rear shock at the same time. The main pain with this is labor. Buy the shocks at bmaparts.com or rockauto.com. The shocks range from boge, which are good for regular road travel- to BILSTEIN, which are for heavy duty turning or sport-like racing.
I should have replaced all 4 shocks/struts at the time. Now the back end is a bit lower than the front and it a little "squishy" on turns in the rear. We're both in the same boat- except for the squeaking.
Here is a thread about your problem.
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t 987
Jist is you can go cheap and just replace the collar nut. Or if you find the car is uneven or squishy, replace the struts. Good luck.
ER
On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 20:43:35 -0400, Enoch Root wrote:

Sorry, I meant tighten the nut. No need to replace unless it's broken.
excellent links in that post. best place for e34 info.