E34 starting to sound deeper

Hi,

My 92 525i (E34) is starting to sound a bit deeper than it used to. The downside of my short commute is I don't think the exhaust ever warms up enough. Is this the front or rear muffler most likely needing replacing? The catalytic converter should be OK, no?

Thanks,

Peter

Reply to
sduraybito

Probably the back box. It is always the first to corrode as it runs the coolest. The cat and middle box should be ok. My last E34 had 362,000miles on it and it had only ever had one replacement middle box in all that time. Then again it was mostly motorway miles so the whole system was nice and hot.

JB

Reply to
JB
362,000 miles! I only have 108,000 on mine. Kudos to a ripe old age. Any thoughts on how you got your E34 to live so long?

Peter

Reply to
sduraybito

I just hit 96,000 on my '95 525i...not really worried about things because it's solid, but what is the secret to getting 360k?

Reply to
hands