E34 Touring rear window question

One nice feature of the 1992 525i Touring is that the rear window can be opened on its own without having to lift the entire tailgage.

However, mine will not stay up, at least not more than about 10% of the time.

Is the adjustment of the support legs (or something else?) easy to accomplish, or would it require a garage to do it? I was not able to find any instructions in the car's manual or an aftermarket manual I have.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

-- Mike Poplawski Victoria, BC Canada

Reply to
michael.poplawski

Your pic doesn't show them but I'd guess it's assisted and held up by gas struts. These are similar to shocks and wear out. A good check on this is if they work better on a hot day than cold.

They're probably not BMW specific, so are likely cheaper from a spares shop. Their spec is usually printed on them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)